SPECIAL RULES FOR PINEWOOD DERBY
CARS ENTERED IN RACES
- Cars must comply with the printed rules contained in the derby car kits regarding car
- Width not to exceed 2-3/4 inches
- Length not to exceed 7-3/8 inches
- Weight not to exceed 5 ounces
- Stock axles and wheels contained in the kits must be used.
- No washers or bearings may be used on the wheels.
- No spring suspensions may be used.
- Wheels can not be altered to change the footprint. Mold seams may be removed, but wheels
may not be narrowed, ridged, or otherwise changed.
- The wheel base may not be modified.
- Axles may be polished to remove burrs.
- Graphite is the only lubricant allowed.
- No hubcaps or wheel coverings may be used to hold graphite in.
- All weights must be securely fastened to car.
- No sliding or liquid based weights are allowed.
- Because of track timing sensors, it is not wise to design a car with a sharply pointed
- If a car breaks down during a race, the repair or replacement of that part only is
allowed if and only if it affects the basic performance of the car (i.e., a wheel or
weight falls off). A car may be moved to a later race time or disqualified if the repairs
will take a significant amount of time.
- In case of close calls or questions, the decision of the Derby Director(s) is final.
This page was last updated on 01/14/99.
Copyright © 1999, Colonial District,
All Rights Reserved